Weedsport Free Library Seeks Library Director
Weedsport Free Library is searching for an enthusiastic person to lead the library as the social, educational, and cultural hub of our community. Working 30 hours per week (occasional night and Saturday), the director will manage the library staff, volunteers, facility, and collection with the goal of providing excellent library service to the community.
The Library Director is responsible for the administration of all library functions within the goals, guidelines, and policies established by the Library Board of Trustees.
The Director serves as the official representative of the library, taking a leadership role within the library, the community, and the library profession.
Qualifications, Experience, and Skills Required
- Excellent communication skills and organizational skills.
- Ability to administer the activities of a public library and to supervise the work of others.
- Maintains knowledge of standard library principles and practices, concepts of freedom of speech, copyrights, collection development, patron confidentiality, censorship, and other library ethical issues.
- Proficiency with computers- circulation/tech services software, Microsoft Office programs, internet, and digital services/devices.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with the board of trustees, library staff, Finger Lakes Library System staff, member library associates, community leaders and the public.
- Plans, implements, and evaluates library services and programs.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates long and short-term goals and objectives.
- Works with the Board of Trustees to develop and administer policies concerning library operations.
- Handles complaints in accordance with policy.
- Provides supervision and delegates responsibilities to the library staff.
- Recruits and recommends employment of library personnel. Evaluates personnel on a yearly basis.
- Organizes, trains, assigns, and evaluates personnel and volunteers.
- Conducts staff meetings.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual budget, serving on the finance committee.
- Directs and controls the expenditure of fund allocations within constraints of approved budgets.
- Purchases new equipment and furnishings with board approval.
- Accepts and acknowledges gifts of money and materials.
- Pursues and applies for grant money.
- Prepares monthly Directors’ report with the Assistant Director, including statistics and activities.
- Attends monthly Board of Trustee meetings and gives the Directors’ report.
- Supervises status of library building and equipment by identifying, troubleshooting and solving problems. Contacts appropriate board member or vendor if problem is not resolved.
- Insures a safe physical environment on interior and exterior of library, making the safety of staff and patrons a priority.
- Evaluates and develops library collection, including regular reviews and updates.
- Purchases additions to adult collection, provides support to Asst. Director in purchasing additions to the youth collection.
- Collaborates with community groups, schools, and local officials to promote/offer existing and new library services and programs.
- Address local community groups when the opportunity arises, promoting and educating people about the library.
- Oversees and approves scheduled use of library by outside groups.
- Prepares questionnaires and surveys to evaluate public responses regarding the library.
- Keeps informed of current developments in library field by attending workshops, professional meetings, and reading current literature.
- Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons as needed.
Associates Degree (Required)
Part-time – 30 hours/week
$18.50 per hour
Please send cover letter, resume and 3 references by Monday, July 12, 2021 to:
Weedsport Free Library
Board of Trustees
2795 E. Brutus St.
PO Box 1165
Weedsport, NY 13166
Or email: email@example.com
To learn more about our library you can visit www.weedsportlibrary.org